The trauma of moving can be an added stress for both buyers and sellers. Checklist to make things calmer before closing:
- Weed out items you won’t be moving; hold a garage sale or donate them to charity.
- Get estimates from moving companies.
- Make a list of people and organizations—credit cards, magazines, college alumni associations—that will need to be notified of the move.
- Look at schools and day care facilities in new area. Forward school records.
- Complete change-of-address forms.
- Contact doctors and ask for referrals if you’re moving to a new city. Forward medical records.
- Check homeowners’ policy to see if possessions are covered during the move.
- Decide how you’ll move valuables.
- Get information on driver’s license, insurance policy, license plates, and auto stickers if you’re moving to a new city.
- Contact utility companies—gas and electric—in both cities.
- Register with an Internet service provider.
- Contact phone service—see if your long distance, cellular, and Internet providers operate in the area.
- Contact satellite and cable TV providers.
- Empty and dispose of all items in the refrigerator.
- Map out driving route to new home.
For assistance with local movers and area help, contact us at 207-701-5600 or email@example.com